Technology Resume | email@example.com
Technical Writer-Editor / Documentation or Training Manager / Instructional Designer / Technology Journalist
Please inquire for salary requirements.
Geographic preferences: Western Europe: Germany, Austria, Switzerland; east
coast of U.S.: Washington, D.C., Northern Virginia, Bethesda, Rockville.
Part- or full-time acceptable.
- Outstanding record as a tech writer, manager, team leader, instructional
designer, and trainer.
- Managed teams of from five to ten senior technical writers, editors, and
training specialists for documentation, HTML, online help, and training
projects for major companies in the Internet and telecommunications
- Significant background in English teaching at the university and high school levels in
both the United
States and Germany.
- Featured technology columnist in newspapers around the world. Have
authored over 1,000 articles on technology for consumers. A small sampling of
articles is available
- Taught popular computer applications to business professionals.
- Facile with myriad operating systems and applications, including Windows,
Mac, Linux/Unix, Word, WordPerfect, PowerPoint, FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Visio, PageMaker, Ventura,
Quark XPress, Photoshop, CorelDRAW, Illustrator, Articulate,
Captivate, Audition, MS Access, Excel, Dreamweaver, Expression Web, InDesign,
WordPress, Drupal, Artisteer.
- Good knowledge of HTML and Web site design, XML.
- Outstanding communications, leadership, and management skills.
Technology and Writing
Senior Technical Writer/Editor and Contracting Officer's Representative (COR)
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), Rockville, Maryland
2/11 » Present
- Edit public-facing technical documents to ensure grammatical correctness and adherence to stylistic standards.
- Assist authors in writing documents.
- Act as agency expert in matters of language, style, and usage.
- Participate on committees and in agency initiatives to improve the quality of writing in public documents.
- Style guides used include NRC's in-house style manual, the U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) Style Manual, and the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Write procedural documents for internal use.
- Create and administer the Publication Branch's quarterly customer satisfaction survey via SurveyMonkey.
- Received performance awards and certificate of appreciation in this position.
- Highest performance rating over the past 4 years: "Outstanding."
- Administer the NRC's enterprise-wide technical editing contract (valued at just under $4 million). Responsibilities include coordinating editorial efforts, ensuring quality, approving changes to contractor personnel, budgeting, invoice approvals, and general contract administration.
- Level III COR certification (120 hours of training).
- Security clearance level: L.
German Press Agency (dpa), Berlin, Germany
8/94 » 6/11
- Wrote weekly technology features for dpa's English service.
- Initiated dpa's computer technology reporting service, which became one of the most popular features of this international news wire's
- My articles appeared each week in many newspapers
around the world and were routinely translated into Spanish and other languages.
- Initiated the "computer helper" series of question-and-answer articles,
which became a weekly staple in dozens of newspapers around the world.
- Oversaw translation of technology articles from German into English.
- The German Press Agency dpa is one of the world's largest international
news wire services.
Senior Instructional Designer
Fannie Mae, Washington, D.C.
3/08 » 2/11
- Managed the educational offerings in the area of Investor Reporting.
- Designed and developed a range of online training materials (performance
support) and classroom materials for some of Fannie Mae's major desktop
applications for lenders.
- Received "hot performer" award after seven months at the company.
- Tools used: Adobe Captivate, Adobe Audition, Articulate, Word,
PowerPoint, among others.
Software AG, Reston, Virginia
2/01 » 2/08
- Managed a team of four to seven senior technical writers for the U.S.
research and development wing of Software AG, Inc.
- Responsible for staffing, evaluation of employees, scheduling, and other
- Trained employees in use of XML, documentation procedures, and software.
Documentation Team Leader
UUNET, Ashburn, Virginia
5/99 » 2/01
- Managed a team of six to nine senior technical writers, editors, and
training specialists for large-scale documentation, HTML, online help, and
- Trained employees in use of HTML, documentation procedures, and
- Worked with management on staffing needs.
Technical Trainer and Editorial Consultant
Tamaroff Associates (now Productivity Point), Washington, D.C.
3/97 » 7/97
- Taught classes in Word, Windows, and Web authoring.
- Training ability rated as "very good" and "polished."
Senior Editor and Technology Consultant
Alpha-Omega Services, Inc., Arlington, Virginia
6/93 » 8/97
- Managed editorial and desktop publishing teams during production of
large-scale documents for the World Bank, Alpha-Omega's largest client.
- Consulted with clients to determine their needs and priorities in both
document production and technology.
- Coordinated work between writers and editors.
- Oversaw the company's computer-related purchasing decisions.
- Created and implemented company Web sites.
- Managed and coordinated freelance editors.
- Documentation edited and desktop published included software manuals,
country studies, annual reports, technical documents, procurement
guidelines, and multi-volume books.
- Established a successful marketing campaign, which included creating and
maintaining marketing materials such as promotional brochures and
University and High School Teaching
Adjunct English Instructor
American University, Washington, D.C.
8/13 » 12/13
- Taught an evening course in college writing for the Department of Literature to students in American University's Washington Mentorship Program.
- I was responsible for designing the course, teaching it, grading papers, and attending selected faculty meetings.
- Created an online writing community to house and inspire student writing projects.
- AU profile.
John F. Kennedy International High School, Berlin, Germany
8/90 » 6/93
- Taught English and advanced English to Germans and native English
speakers in grades 8, 10, 11, 12, and 13.
- Teaching performance was rated "outstanding" by an independent review
- Tenure granted after serving one year at the school.
Lecturer, Department of English
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster, Münster, Germany
4/89 » 7/90
- Designed and taught courses in advanced American language and
literature, culture, and German-English translation.
Instructor, Department of English
Technische Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany
4/88 » 3/89
- Designed and led courses in American literature and culture during the
tenure of a Fulbright fellowship in Berlin.
Business English and Computer Instructor
Central Texas College, Berlin, Germany
1/88 » 3/89
- Taught day and evening courses to adults in Business English, Word
Processing, and DOS.
University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut
8/85 » 8/87
- Taught composition and literature during the course of my doctoral
University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
8/82 » 8/84
- Taught composition, literature, and creative writing while working
toward my M.A.
- Created PhotoCamel (2005), now one of the Internet's most popular sites
for professional and enthusiast photographers. Sold in 2012.
- Performed SEO work for commercial sites.
University of Connecticut, Storrs, 1987
Completed all coursework and 16-hour comprehensive written and oral
examinations toward Ph.D degree.
Grade point average: 3.9 (4.0 scale).
M.A., English, Pedagogy
University of Maryland, College Park, 1984
Special concentrations in teaching, writing, editing, publishing.
Grade point average: 3.9 (4.0 scale).
B.A., English, Journalism
University of Maryland, College Park, 1982
Undergraduate major subject grade point average: 4.0; overall grade point average: 3.8 (4.0 scale).
- Educational Assessment, 2004
- Program Management, 2007
- Teaching Methods, 2008
- Securitization, 2008
- Mortgage Banking, 2008
- Adolescent Psychology, 2009
- Innovations in e-Learning, 2009
- Investor Reporting, 2009
- Adobe Flash CS4, 2009
- Innovations in e-Learning, 2010
- Microsoft Access, 2011
- Adobe InDesign, 2012
- Contract Management, 2013
- Digital Citizenship, 2015
- Learning and Teaching with Web 2.0 Tools, 2015
- Fulbright Fellowship to Germany, 1987
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1982
- Phi Kappa Phi (National Honor Society), 1982
- Various other awards: graduated cum laude (B.A), with honors in English,
1982; Writer's Fellowship Monetary Award, University of Connecticut, 1986;
teaching assistantship awards, Universities of Maryland and Connecticut,
1982-87; multiple Dean's List appearances.
Click here for samples.
Summary: Academic articles, over a thousand newspaper articles (mostly on
technology), book reviews, interviews, creative writing.
English (expert), German (fluent), French (rudimentary).
Available upon request.
Documentation Team Leader, Manager, Technical Documentation, Technical
Writer, Instructional Designer, Technical Editor, Training, Technical Trainer, Program Support,
Director, Manager, Software Tester, Public Relations, International Public
Relations, PR, Team Leader, Journalist, Journalism, Training and Documentation Manager, Desktop
Publishing, RoboHELP, Online Help, Word, FrameMaker, Rational ClearCase,
ClearQuest, Visio, PageMaker, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Office, Windows, Telecommunications, Internet, Language
Instructor, HTML, XML